May 5, 2020

Books and Audiobooks Roundup

Good day friends! I wanted to share some book and audiobook recommendations. I listen to a lot of audiobooks; since I travel a lot and I love books its the perfect combination. But if and when I do pick up a book and read it makes me so happy and its the best way to unwind.  I'm going to display the book cover and talk about each one. I've actually had so many that I've listened to but narrowed them down to four for now- I'll update you as I read and listen to more.

The Help- one of my favorites! I really enjoyed this one. Here’s the summary. *Disclaimer: This book does have some not very polite language. I try to steer away from books like that and also there are a few social behaviors that I disagree with but overall it is a very captivating book. 

The Help, Kathryn Stockett's debut novel, tells the story of black maids working in white Southern homes in the early 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi, and of Miss Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, a 22-year-old graduate from Ole Miss, who returns to her family's cotton plantation, Longleaf, to find that her beloved maid and nanny, Constantine, has left and no one will tell her why. Skeeter tries to behave like a proper Southern lady: She plays bridge with the young married women; edits the newsletter for the Junior League, and endures her mother's constant advice on how to find a man and start a family. However, Skeeter's real dream is to be a writer, but the only job she can find is with the Jackson Journal writing a housekeeping advice column called "Miss Myrna." Skeeter knows little about housekeeping, so she turns to her friend's maid, Aibileen, for answers and finds a lot more. 


I also enjoyed this Book titled Rush- here’s the summary.

RUSH is a beautifully written coming-of-age novel, set against the backdrop of sorority rush in the south. Lisa Pattonweaves an unforgettable story of friendship and the bonds between mothers and daughters, while also exploring larger themes of class, race, and inequality.


The residence was recommended to me and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here’s the summary. 

Full of stories and details by turns dramatic, humorous, and heartwarming, The Residence reveals daily life in the White House as it is really lived through the voices of the maids, butlers, cooks, florists, doormen, engineers, and others who tend to the needs of the President and First Family.
I'm currently reading Emma- I took a little break from it due to busyness, however, I plan to finish it soon.
The summer after university, Emma Woodhouse returns home to live with her widowed father and launch her interior design business. Apart from cultivating grand career plans and managing her father’s hypochondria, Emma busies herself with the two things she does best: matchmaking and offering advice on everything from texting etiquette to first date destinations. 

I hope that you enjoy these as much as I have and I'll update you on my next set of books.


Good Night from the Sunshine State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home